Wednesday, May 25, 2016

Gardening Zan Style

The Memorial Day weekend looms large and the plan is still to take Zan's Can out on a "soft opening". By that I mean we are staying close to home and in a campground with all the amenities! I figure  I'll need a trip or two out in her to get a true feel of what does or does not need to get packed. Spent the day gathering the bedding and cookware. Bedding is basically all new or gently used off eBay but the cookware is exclusively thrift store purchases. Sadly my piles are growing in the brick home because the forecast rain has actually arrived preventing me from opening up the Can and filling the meager storage compartments, sniff.

As I stuffed duvet covers with comforters and made stuff bags to carry the various tarps, stakes, and tools I have been mulling over the Can's final name. I have a sense of what I want but the "perfect" name is eluding me. Basically I am looking to convey how I do "flowers and gardening" on fabric and wood unlike my House Beautiful gardening guru of a sister whose flower beds are beautiful to behold already this early in our 'Sprinter'. I'm pushing myself to settle on a name because I want to make a custom spare tire cover that has the name included. To that end I've been wandering the internet looking for inspiration. She would say this about me:

And some can pot begonias and some can bud a rose,
And some are hardly fit to trust with anything that grows...
~Rudyard Kipling, "The Glory of the Garden"

Basically she's right....things that grow in soil should not be left in my care! However, not all gardens require soil and sometimes solarium masquerade as glamped up campers. My sister's garden does for her soul what the Can is doing for mine...bringing us joy and a reason to believe in tomorrow! Her genes must be from our ploughmen Scottish ancestors just like mine must be from an unknown Tinker/Traveler/Gypsy ancestor. This vagabond soul is hoping for clearing skies so she can hit the road this weekend.




No comments:

Post a Comment